Service Learning – Give Back While Learning
The Language that Works Service Learning Program in Costa Rica provides students an opportunity to combine skills, talents, and passions for community service with language learning and cultural immersion. Our Service Learning Program offers the opportunity of working alongside Ticos (local native Costa Ricans) while enjoying the vast beauty of the countryside and the unique diversity of wildlife. You will leave Costa Rica knowing that you have made a positive impact on the community, while improving your Spanish.
SERVICE LEARNING PROJECTS
Our Service Learning Projects are designed with foreigners in mind. Each organization we partner with is equipped to receive students with all levels of Spanish and some receive English speakers. LTW offers service learning projects in education, ecotourism, medical, church ministry, veterinary, agriculture, non-profit, and social services. We customize projects by understanding your goals and objectives for the program. The following are some of our project highlights:
- Sonrisas con EsperanzaSonrisas con Esperanza Sonrisas con Esperanza is a local Christian ministry organization which works with the women and children who live in the high risk area of Guararí, Heredia. Volunteers can assist them in providing training in the areas of job skills, parenting, life skills, health, as well […]Read More...
- El Comedor del Niño JesúsEl Comedor del Niño Jesús El Comedor del Niño Jesús, located in Santa Barbara, Heredia, is a non-profit organization that provides hot meals to local low income families in their community. They welcome volunteers to help with the lunch meals, share English conversation, and work in their recycling center. Project Overview Region: Central Valley Location: Santa Bárbara, […]Read More...
SERVICE LEARNING PROGRAM OPTIONS
LTW offers three Service Learning Program options. Two of the options are combined with 3 hours of Study Abroad Credit and the last is Service Learning only. Please visit our Study Abroad page to learn more about this portion of the program.
- Option 1 – Study Abroad & Service Learning
- 40 hours of Spanish coursework
- 20-hour service learning proyect
- 6 credit hours
- Option 2 – Study Abroad & Service Learning
- 40 hours of Spanish coursework
- 8-hour service learning project
- 3 credit hours
- Option 3 – Living Learning Community Program
- 11 day program designed for students to be able to participate and contribute in local community development projects in Costa Rica — indigenous, fishermen, and farmers and children
Accommodations are tailored to your preferences. Language that Works offers a homestay with a local family. Accomodations include a private room, access to a bathroom , laundry services, three meals per day, internet, and space in the family’s refrigerator to store personal items.
The benefits of choosing Language that Works as your service learning program provider are many. We provide you a very personalized, customized total immersionlanguage experience where you are able to make a contribution. You will have the opportunity to:
- Work alongside local Ticos to make a difference in someone’s life
- Enjoy incredible travel opportunities
- Gain language experience tailored to your goals & skills
- Experience Costa Rican culture
- Receive personalized service in both the U.S. & Costa Rica
- Have accommodation selections based on personal preferences
For more information about any of the service learning project options, please contact us to discuss a service learning project for you.